Scottsdale Healthcare’s dedicated team of 26 forensic nurse examiners (FNEs) serve patients who have been sexually assaulted or abused, are victims of domestic violence, strangulation or have been physically assaulted. They are an integral part of a multidisciplinary team response that is a national model Your generous support of the FNE program helps to ensure that victims get the care they need, when they need it in a private, comfortable and safe environment. In addition, it helps provide law enforcement agencies and Maricopa County Attorney’s Office key evidence to successfully prosecute abusers.
- FNEs are specially trained to provide head-to-toe medical-forensic examinations and sample collection, as well as expert testimony in court.
- When a call comes in that an FNE is needed, they are required to provide services within one hour, 24/7 at the requested location.
- Patients are typically seen in the advocacy center. FNE’s also may be called upon to see patients in any hospital, care home, jail or prison.
- FNE’s inform patients about sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy, injury care, strangulation dangers, patient and family safety, as well as administer preventative medications and collaborate with the the patients healthcare team.
- Helping beyond our community boundaries, Scottsdale Healthcare FNEs have assisted with training and educating FNEs from other counties and states, along with other healthcare providers, community members, students, law enforcement officers and attorneys.